Samsung S4 mini question Samsung S4 mini question

Samsung S4 mini question

I am new to smartphones and have been given a Samsung Galaxy 4 mini in very good condition that I will use with Verizon. (Except that it sometimes will not flip into horizontal screen mode)
    I am wondering if I will encounter any difficulties or security issues since the phone is about 3-4 years old. My main uses would be web browsing, email, calls and texts, shopping and YouTube. Thanks.

A lot depends upon how security failures would affect you, i.e. what is the risk to you if someone reads your emails or can see your browsing history?

Yes, you will be exposed to an increasingA lot depends upon how security failures would affect you, i.e. what is the risk to you if someone reads your emails or can see your browsing history?

Yes, you will be exposed to an increasing level of security risk when support stops. But I don't see any major issue using an old phone unless you have highly sensitive information stored on it. There are third-party security apps that help out with protection and security.

The usable life of the phone is probably at most two years before apps stop working and Google Play Store will no longer be supported.

Android support: ended in mid-2015
    Apps support (particularly Chrome web browser) stops when market share drops enough: probably 2018
    Google Play Store support stops (recently stopped for 2.3): likewise, probably late 2018

Better to light a candle ... than to curse the darkness.level of security risk when support stops. But I don't see any major issue using an old phone unless you have highly sensitive information stored on it. There are third-party security apps that help out with protection and security.

The usable life of the phone is probably at most two years before apps stop working and Google Play Store will no longer be supported.

Android support: ended in mid-2015
    Apps support (particularly Chrome web browser) stops when market share drops enough: probably 2018
    Google Play Store support stops (recently stopped for 2.3): likewise, probably late 2018

If you want to make sure that you have the latest in terms of security updates and you're good with computers and phones, there's always the option of updating via a custom ROM. Just beware that you should only do this if you know what you're doing. The S4 Mini does have an official Android Nougat AOKP build, so you can get the newest android OS available.