Windows 95/98/ME

• Members
    • 6 posts

• Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:04 AM
    Hi everyone, i recently bought a pc on ebay with this name: "HP Compaq DX2000 Tower Intel Pentium4 2,8GHz 512MB DDR1 40GB IDE DVD IDE".
    I wanted to make a win98se gaming pc, and this pc seemed perfect due to the pentium 4 and 512mb memory.

when i installed the os i had a small problem with the cd not being detected by 98, but i resolved the issue with an old floppy disk with a dos cd driverversion 2.1)
    I also found a site with my specs: https://www.allthingsmine.com/produc..._S2077004.html "my ram is not 256 but 512."

Heres the issue im having: in the device manager there was a conflict with the intel® 82801EB ultra ata storage controllers. I resolved the problem by setting the dual ide channel to :"only primary ide channel enabled". After rebooting i tried to detect any other hardware and found the "standard IDE/ISDE hard disk Controller" when i installed the intel driver for it, the secondary ide controller and dvd player appeared in the device manager.

But now every time i reboot it freezes in the windows startup text. ill attach a picture of the text. win98 issue.jpg 72.59KB 1 downloads

i rebooted in safe mode and disabled the controller in device manager. and rebooted again without freezing. my dvd drive is gone and only comes back when i enable the IDE/ISDE controller.

hard disk is primary master, dvd player is secondary slave. secondary slave is the only thing thats atapi compatible. according to bios setup

Anyone know how i can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Windows 95/98/ME

Is this 98 or 98SE? I would rename your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files to Autoexec.bak and Config.bak. Windows 98 doesn't need these files unless you plan on playing some DOS games and 98 has a DOS mode where the files are automatically created to run a DOS game. These files will be on the root of C:

If you are running Windows 98 and 98SE then download SE here.

Windows 95/98/ME

Thanks for the quick reply! i have the latest version of win98SE. where can i find these Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files to rename them?

Windows 95/98/ME

(Forgot to quote and dont know how to delete the post) Thanks for the quick reply! i have the latest version of win98SE. where can i find these Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files to rename them?

content from reference site