Excel crashes when saving files that contain comments

I've recently encountered a problem saving Excel files that contain comments. This happens if I open an existing file with a comment, edit it and save it, and also with a newly created file that I add a comment in a cell to.

What happens is I get a circling cursor and after a bit a message saying that Microsoft Excel has stopped working. In the directory where I tried to save the file a 0 byte file is left with a name that appears to be several random numbers and no extension. If I remove all comments from the Excel file, it saves fine.

I am running Windows 10 64 bit (creators edition) and Office 365 Home.

I took the following steps to try to resolve the issue:

1. I did a quick repair on Microsoft Office - no help.
    2. I did an online repair off Microsoft Office (this seems to reinstall all of office) - no help
    3. I went back to a restore point that I believe was prior to my experiencing this issue - no help and I have no earlier restore points to try.

Can anyone help?

Does file cause the same problem on other computers? Or is it only on this computer?

Have you actually tried completely uninstalling Office and then reinstalling it (even though the "repair" seemed to potentially do that)?

Have you tried doing a "Save As" to a different file name with the comment's included?

Thank you for replying. To answer your questions:

1. The file does not cause a problem on another computer. Excel (same version from Office 365) saves it fine.
    2. I have not done a full uninstall and re-install. But that's a good idea. I should be able to do it tomorrow afternoon and will report back with the result.
    3. I have done a save as - still the crash if the comments are left in. I even created a brand new spreadsheet. Put in only a comment in one cell - nothing else - and it crashes. When I don't put a comment in it saves fine.

Thanks again.

Thank you for replying. To answer your questions:

1. The file does not cause a problem on another computer. Excel (same version from Office 365) saves it fine.
    2. I have not done a full uninstall and re-install. But that's a good idea. I should be able to do it tomorrow afternoon and will report back with the result.
    3. I have done a save as - still the crash if the comments are left in. I even created a brand new spreadsheet. Put in only a comment in one cell - nothing else - and it crashes. When I don't put a comment in it saves fine.

Thanks again.

This last one (in combination with no problems on the other computer) suggest a problem with the Excel install. So, I would definitely try completely uninstalling Office and then reinstalling it.