Windows 10 anti-bloatware update attempts to block installation of Win32 apps

They appear to have discovered an interesting direction Microsoft is headed.

It's not a secret Microsoft is ever so slowly nudging people towards the Windows Store. As long as this functionality can be turned off I don't care because I'll only see it once.

Unless they re-enable the feature in the next update and block the ability to disable the feature all together in the update after that....

It's Microsoft's OS and they're making that perfectly clear.

Played around with this setting a bit over the weekend. The single biggest strength of Windows is its software support. It also happens to be its single biggest weakness. It's to easy to arbitrarily install anything on Windows machine and this is not a bad thing as long as it's a controllable option.

Of course there's always going to suspcision and FUD over this sort of thing. I just don't see how Microsoft benefits from removing the greatest strength of Windows across the board at least. But I do see a lot of benefit in locking down users from installing whatever Win32 app but giving some option to install better curated software. Again, as long as it's a controllable option is a nothing but a good thing.

In testing it out this setting on allowed me to install stuff from Steam.

I really don't think there's much to the suspicion. We'll see a lot of FUD, but, like we've jousted about in a different thread, I'm sure MS will eventually lock down Windows to their store. The advantage in removing it is total control/monopoly over billions of installs. It'll happen.