Have you lost your Android? Google's new "Device Manager" can help.

In case you didn't notice, Google has just updated its Play Store App, which includes a small, almost hidden goodie called the Android Device Manager.

This new app works as an official Anti-theft app that works on Google's side; all you need to make it work is a Google account (the one you use for the Play Store is a good one), a device running 2.2 or a newer Android version, and you're almost set.

In order to enable the Android Device Manager, go to Settings > Security > Device Adminstrators and you should see it listed there. Once activated, go to https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager, enter you login information and that's it. If you really like the way this app works, chances are don't need to keep any third-party Anti-theft installed.

Try it, and please share your experiences regarding this new official "goodie" for Android users.

Samsung has one, Avast has one, and now Google has one. Good for backup, but I wonder about compatibility and resource usage.

My guess is this "add on" should work with no problems in most of the Android devices since it is an official app made by Google.

The minimum requirements point to Android 2.2 (API Level 8), which highlights the importance Google is giving to this app by trying to cover as many devices as possible.

In my experience, the Android Device Manager add-on worked fine on my phone (Android 4.0.4), as it did on a friend's phone (Android 2.3.5). Furthermore, I noticed no impact on my phone's performance while using it. I know, however, that there's no universal solution as some people may experience problems, that's why I would like our readers to share their experiences regarding this new feature.

I have a question about this. I just installed it, but the only option I can see so far is the 'Ring my phone' option. Despite the things Android Device Manager says it can do, I don't see the 'lock' o the 'wipe' option listed anywhere.

I am not so sure about using this new thing because I think there are better, more simple options, to find my tablet with actual working commands.

I have to agree with you about this. In its current state, the Android Device Manger is not as effective as other tools are, which is a bit dissapointing considering it comes from Google. The alarm can be bypassed very easily, the wipe command takes a while to be confirmed and - despite what the device administrator says - the lock command doesn't exist.