External Hard Drive Not Showing Up On My Computer

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:25 PM
    I'm having some problems with my Transcend StoreJet external hard drive. I had it for a while now and it was working normally until now. At first, it seemed to be fine but when I clicked on it on My Computer it asked me to format the drive. I thought that was strange so I unplugged it and re-plugged it back in. But it now doesn't even show up on My Computer anymore. I checked on Device Manager and it's there. I tried re-installing the driver but that didn't help. Please help me. I have important files on the hard drive.

With the external drive attached open Disk Management. Is the External drive listed as RAW?

Thanks for replying me. The drive does not show up on Disk Management. I just tried plugging the drive into a different computer and it doesn't show up there either. When I plug it in, everything seems normal, The computer correctly identifies the drive and installs the driver. The hard drive makes sounds and lights up like normal. But it just doesn't show up on My Computer.

It's possible the USB bridge card is being detected but the drive itself is dead. You could try booting a live linux distro then attaching your external drive. If the drive is not detected using a live linux distro then I believe you would need to use a professional recovery service to pull any important data. This is not cheap.

I'm not that tech savvy. Can you explain how you would do a live linux distro? Thanks.

Download the UBCD iso file. Burn the iso to a CD/DVD on any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image.
    Boot the UBCD and at the main menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop attach the External drive and mount it using the guide linked below.

Your external drive would probably be labeled sdb if you only have one hard drive or sdc if you have two.