Instagram advertises fraudulent website.

My late night routine began like any other — brushed my teeth, scrolled through twitter, spent some time on Youtube. But then I went on Instagram and thats where things got interesting.
    I scrolled past the usual selfies and cool posts from my favourite artists, to where i'd eventually find this ad:

Being both a Raptors fan and a second year college student, these savings caught my attention right away — I of course then proceeded to enter the online store thats linked directly from the ad.
    Upon arrival to the store, nothing raised any suspicions once again. Everything was presented professionally and looked like the real NBA store i've visited before.

I then proceed to purchase a retro purple T-Mac jersey at 60% of the original listed price. Woohoo life's good, right? Well if you read the title, I think you know where this is going.
    I visited the website on my computer to see this beautiful message.

That’s crazy! Never expected any platform to sponsor fraudulent websites, what a pity… I hope Instagram (and every social media site) further checks these sites before they sponsor them to insure that their users not only get scammed, but to also insure that their accounts, email, and credit cards are safe as well.

Add another item to the list of why i use an ad blocker. I wouldn’t ever want to be drawn to an ad like that. And I really wouldn’t want family members clicking on ads. Recode just had a story about all the fake lock smiths that show up as ads on google search results. These companies (Google, Facebook) have no incentive not to take the money and turn the other way.

I’ve seen MacKeeper ads right here on the Verge, in one of those scammy "sponsored" spots that tricks you into thinking it’s a Verge article. Just goes to show you can never be too careful, no matter where you are.

I think it would have been difficult for Instagram to verify whether those items were stolen or not. I mean, how would you even go about doing that? Not to mention, the amount of time and energy it would take Instagram to carry out a thorough check with each and every advertiser. Just a thought.