gmail help needed: original email disappears from inbox

When replying to an email in my inbox (gmail), the original email is removed from my inbox. I can view the original email and my reply in my sent folder. But I want the original email to remain in my inbox. How can I do this? Why is the original email removed from my inbox? Thanks.

My hunch is that you have either turned auto-archiving or auto-muting on unintentionally or have somehow turned on Gmail keyboard commands and are causing messages to be muted or archived.

Use the "Settings Gear" button and choose settings from the dropdown menu. In the General tab you'll see a section labeled, "Send & Archive." Click on the read more link beside it to find out more about archiving/muting messages or read here.

Also see this Livewire article to see just how easy it can be to accidentally archive a message with a single key strike at "the right time" if Gmail Keyboard Shortcuts are enabled.

How do I "undo" automatic archive or mute? I went into settings and did not see this option. thanks.

Please take the time to read the references that I offered you, particularly the last one.